Monday 17 October 2011

Ergonomics

Ergonomics is defined as "the scientific study of human beings in relation to their working environments" Pheasant (1986). The main factors of ergonomics include the interrelationships of person, environment and occupation/ the activities an individual engages in. It is vital as occupational therapist's we take time to consider these three aspects with each individual clients, and acknowledge how each aspect relates and effects the other.
Ergonomics effects the way I participate in my activity of exercise drastically, for example after breaking my ankle two years ago, I have to be more considerate of the exercise I choose to partake in due to my previous injury. If I wake up and my ankle is feeling sore, I would not choose to go for a run and this causes heavy impact onto my ankle, however, I would choose something of lesser impact such as yoga or going on the cross trainer. Environment also plays a large part a significant part in the engagement of physical activity for myself. If it is freezing outside I find it much harder to motivate myself in participating in an outdoor activity, or if it is hot outside, I would choose to not be indoors at a gym and instead enjoy the fresh air and sun. People within the environment impacts my engagement in exercise also, I find participating in team sports extremely motivating as it helps me push harder due to a sense of responsibility I have not only for myself but the others in my team. Overall, I would categorise exercise as work rather than labour. Work is defined as requiring self investment, skill, craft and personal judgement, work is purposeful and meaningful Creek & Lawson-Porter (2007). I believe this is particularly relevant to exercise as physical activity requires skill, craft and personal judgement. I also identify exercise as being personally meaningful.

 References:
 Creek, J., & Lawson-Porter, A. (Eds.). (2007). Contemporary Issues in Occupational Therapy. Chichester. John Wiley & Sons Ltd.

Pheasant (1986), Bodyspace: Anthropometry, Ergonomics and Design.

No comments:

Post a Comment