Tuesday 8 March 2011

Tutorial One - Information Technology and Ethical Issues

This blog posting will be based around Information technology and possible ethical issues. In the broadest sense, information technology refers to both the hardware and software that are used to store, retrieve, and manipulate information (Alexandrou, M, 2011). My interpretation of Information technology (I.T) is technology that stores information and allows us to perform tasks in an effective manner. Information technology has become increasingly popular in the 21st century, it is used by the majority of the population whether it be through the use of computers, internet, cameras, cell phones etc. In particular 'generation y' have become increasingly dependant on technology with most in the western world relying on their cell phones and social net work sites to communicate with the rest of the world. Below is a link to a youtube clip that will help the undertsandign of technology in our society http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVSi_1Me5cE
Being only 19 I feel as though I am compotent with technology. I have basic understanding and skills with I.T. I own a cell phone, camera (video camera), ipod and laptop. I am able to operate all this technology I own successfully, however, I would nto claim to be an I.T genius in any way.
Intellectual property (IP) refers to creations of the mind: inventions, literary and artistic works, and symbols, names, images, and designs used in commerce (World Intellectual Property Organization, 2009). I interpret IP as personal ideas and inventions that are laster used in the physical world.
Social justice is the application of the concept of justice on a social scale (Wikipedia, 2010). My basic defintion on social justice is simply - fair treatment.
Informed consent in regards to the health industry is defined as;the right to be told everything about your health and the care that you are receiving (Healthpoint Limited, 2004). I interpret informed consent as a legal right given to clients, where a person/ client has given appropriate consent.

References:
Alexandrou, M. (2011). Definition of Information Technology. Retrieved from http://www.mariosalexandrou.com/definition/information-technology.asp on the 9/03/2011.

Healthpoint Limited. (2004). Informed Consent. Retrieved from http://www.healthpoint.co.nz/default,6321.sm on the 9/03/2011.

Wikipedia. (2010). Social Justice. Retrieved from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_justice on the 9/03/2011.

World Intellectual Property Organization. (2009). What is intellectual property?. Retrieved from http://www.wipo.int/about-ip/en/ on the 9/03/2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment