Tuesday 8 March 2011

Tuorial Two: Digital Imaging

I am very familiar with digital imaging, I studied art phtograpghy in my senior years of high school so am familiar with both settings on cameras such as brightness and contrast and also camera software programmes availabe such as photoshop, where I am able to upload phtos foerm the camera and manipulate them to create a more interesting image (See image below)
(Vindaloo. Dreamland)

Digital photos can be taken on cameras then saved to a memory stick/ SD card that is stored in the camera and then inserted into a computer or laptop where using approproate software can be manipulated to produce the final image. Once satisfied with the image you are then able to upload this image to websites such as facebook, flicker, youtube and blogs, for the rest of the world to see. Below is an image I took of a well known New Zealand band Kids of 88 in the weekend on my camera. After taking this image I stored it on my SD card, changed the images settings on my laptop then uploaded to my facebook.

Discussion Topic: "A new technology is rarely superior to an old one in every feature"
I disagreed with this statement. I believe the new technology of digital cameras are superior, due to the following reasons; digital cameras are more convinent (instant photos can be taken and viewed in an instant), digital cameras also offer more diversity and oppurtunity, are far more convinent and cost effective in terms of not needing refills or acess to a dark room unlike the old cameras once used. However, with saying this I believe old imagery can be very beautiful, but simply is not realistic for the average person who does not have mastery skills in photography and art.
Ethical Issues around image capturing and distrubition  (photos) can include; Privacy (getting t person in the image's consent, ownership (possible breach of copyright) and finally ensuring the appropriate storage of the image is pursued.
In occupational therapy digital imaging can be used for housing modifications and client files. Digital Imaging can provide a richer source of evidence for noth housing modifictaions and client files

No comments:

Post a Comment